Practice Health Champions
Who are they?
Practice Health Champions are patients, from their local GP practice, and thus from the local communities they support. By utilizing their own skills, interests and life experiences, they help to transform and support the health and wellbeing of their community and support the practices in many different and wonderful ways.
What do they do?
Practice Health Champions create new support groups, social activities and events to help others to enjoy healthier lives through; raising awareness of health and healthy choices, sharing health messages, removing barriers and creating supportive networks and environments. They forge strong bonds and friendships with each other, help to make key decisions at their practices and signpost people to relevant support and services.
• Empower and motivate people to get involved in healthy social activities
• Create groups and services to meet local needs
• Sign post people to relevant support and services
• Support patients and their practice to work together in innovative ways
• Increase civic participation
• Gain skills to move into further training and employment
• Help motivate friends and the community
• Get involved with key decisions at the surgery
• Meet new people
• Influence and shape local services
• Feel empowered
• Have a voice and make a difference within their community
….and so much more!
The project overall:
• Tackles health issues and health inequalities
• Increases the involvement of patients and communities in shaping health and social care services.
• Initiates community development
• Provides cost effective solutions to primary care and the NHS as a whole
….and so much more!
Sometimes the best person to know how you are feeling, or how to do something positive in your local area, or how to make changes to your life, is a family member, neighbour or friend, or another patient at your local practice. Put all of this into one – and that’s where Practice Health Champions are making an amazing difference. These dedicated volunteers help to motivate individuals in their local communities and workplaces to make positive changes and enjoy improved health and well-being through peer to peer support and signposting, by building on their own unique life experience, skills and knowledge of their local area. Practice Health Champions work with the practices and are supported by Humber NHS Foundation Trust. They volunteer in their neighbourhoods and communities to get people involved in healthy social activities, create groups to meet local needs and to sign post people to relevant support and services.
Please see our FAQS